The favorite of the Yucatecans
But unknown to travelers
Yucateco Stuffed Cheese like many of the dishes that exist in Mexico has an uncertain history. Some historians say that it originated in Belize with the smuggling of Edam cheese from Suriname.
Another story goes that it was due to a shipwreck in the Yucatecan Caribbean with a large shipment of Edam cheese, and there the settlers began to take this unique food to add their own touch.
I have no doubt that Queso Relleno is also a great example of the fusion of flavors that exists in Yucatecan cuisine thanks to the multicultural origin of the ingredients that we can try today.
Like the chaya, the Yucatecans have found in the Edam cheese O Cheese ballas it is popularly known, a common ingredient for many dishes such as delicious marquises, pies, sausages and cakes included.
The recipe for Queso Relleno has changed over the years, but the traditional one used in most restaurants in Yucatan is the stuffing of ground meat with tomato sauce and the famous “k´ool”.
However, you can also find it stuffed with shrimp or chicken, but you showed yourself how to make the traditional one.
READ MORE: COCHINITA PIBIL, THE JEWEL OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA
Ingredients for Stuffed Cheese:
- A ball of Edam cheese
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 50 grams of raisins
- 50 grams of capers
- 1 onion
- 1 served garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 50 boneless olives
- A thin cloth to wrap the stuffed cheese for steaming or water bath.
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Ingredients for K’ool or White Sauce:
- 2 epazot leaves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 50 grams of capers
- 50 grams of olives
- 150 grams of cornstarch
- A cup of water
Ingredients for tomato sauce:
- 1/2 kilo of tomato
- 1/2 onion
- 1 chile Xcatik
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ball Cheese Procedure:
- In a frying pan put butter to sour the onion and garlic.
- Add raisins, olives, capers and meat.
- Cook everything, season to taste and set aside.
- Remove all wax wrap from Queso Bola.
- Cut the top creating a lid about 1.5 inches thick to cover later.
- With a spoon, start digging the Cheese Ball until you leave one in the center today, avoiding breaking the walls of the ball.
- Fill the Cheese Ball with the meat preparation and cover it with a piece that you cut beforehand.
- Now place the Stuffed Cheese inside the fabric and tie it.
- Place in a saucepan to steam until the cheese softens.
Procedure for K’ool or White Sauce
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil
- Add capers, olives and epazote leaves
- In a cup of water, dissolve the cornstarch
- Add it to the chicken stock and stir until thickened
Procedure for tomato sauce:
- Heat the oil in a frying pan
- Cut the tomato and onion into pieces
- When the oil is hot add the tomatoes, Xcatik chili and onion
- Bring to a boil and season
I know you’re thinking… and yes, it’s a complex dish, but its flavor justifies each of the processes that need to be followed to prepare it. Serving this delicacy also has an order to follow the tradition of the Yucateco Stuffed Cheese:
A deep dish is served with a quantity of white sauce better known as K´ool by the Yucatecans. Then cut the stuffed cheese into slices and place on top of the white sauce. Finally, dip it in the tomato sauce and you’re done!
Do not forget the handmade omelettes to give a more artisanal touch to this dish.
For those who just want to eat it and not prepare it, we recommend some of the best places in Yucatan to try during your trip:
- Kinich Restaurant in Izamal, Yucatan
- La Chaya Maya Restaurant in Merida, Yucatan
- Pueblo Pibil Restaurant in Tixkokob, Yucatan
- restaurants La Casona de Valladolid in Valladolid, Yucatán
- Prince Tutul Xiu Restaurant in Mani, Yucatan
Undoubtedly, Yucatecan Stuffed Cheese, like many others in Yucatecan cuisine, has a unique season, which makes it one of the most representative delicacies of Yucatan and must be tasted.
Leave your comments if you have tried this delicacy or if you would like to write about more Yucatecan recipes.
Passionate about the unstable, travel and history collection to share with anyone who wants to hear the photos, to remember that they still do not know everyone and I love technology because I had to have an addiction.