Are you looking to get out of town on the weekend? Do you have young people who like animals? Are you visiting this part of Mexico and need some activities near Valladolid, Yucatán? The Vallazoo Wildlife Reserve is a great choice just two hours from the Riviera Maya. Here you can see the local wildlife in a beautiful setting and get to know nature.
The Vallazoo opened in 2014, but has evolved into a larger park, such as an area, and has become an attraction for families. Below is a map of the Vallazoo. There are animal enclosures, small lakes, mini golf, canoes, cabins to spend the night and endemic plants and trees to see.
What animals can you see in the Vallazoo?
All the animals you will see are endemic to the area. Some are in danger of extinction and some are quite common. Some of the animals are: peccaries (see photo below), coatis, green iguanas, moths, green parrots, goats, crocodiles, turtles, a jaguar, tigers, deer, scarlet macaws. donkeys, and more.
Mini golf and canoes
Some other activities are available here in Vallazoo. You can play 9 holes of mini golf. They are 25 pesos per person. The course is basic, but it is a beautiful lakeside setting.
There are canoes for the lake. It’s not a big lake, but for 30 pesos for canoe rental it can be fun with the kids.
Stay the night
As the property is large, there is a part where there are cabins to stay. These are not rustic cabins, but very nice hotel rooms that you can share with your family. You can see the rooms here and book. It is recommended to book in advance as they are often filled.
How to get to Vallazoo
The Vallazoo is located on the Valladolid ring road to the north. The entrance can only be accessed from the east side, as it is a divided road and cannot be seen from the other side of the road. The entrance has a large sign that you can’t miss. Follow the gravel road to the box office. Here is the best place to start. You can get all the information and pay for the ticket.
Ticket price and more details for your visit
- Neighbors of Valladolid 25 pesos
- National 80 pesos.
- International visitors 150 pesos.
Hours of Vallazoo
Open every day except Tuesdays from 9:00 to 17:00
Vallazoo’s Facebook page
What else can you do in the area?
The Vallazoo is a good attraction to visit if you are in Valladolid with children. If you want to incorporate other attractions and activities, there are many things to do in the area. Here are some ideas.
- Valladolid is a good place to visit Chichen Itza. There are some hotels near Chichen Itza, but you have many more options as well as more dining options in Valladolid.
- Ek Balam is a short drive north of Vallazoo. This place of ruin attracts fewer people and it is easier to get around and see it in no time. There is also a cenote next to the ruins which is nice to visit.
- Cenote Zaci is located in the heart of Valladolid. You can swim in this cenote or just go admire the natural formation.
- Cenote Xkeken and Cenote Samula. These two cenotes are facing each other on the outskirts of Valladolid. You can also ride horses and quads in this cenote park.
- Cenote Hubiku. It is a large cenote on the way to Ek Balam.
- Cenote Saytun. This is a well known cenote for photos on Instagram. It has increased in popularity in recent years.
Take a bike ride
If you want to get to know the area and some back roads, Bikers Zaci does a great job with small local excursions. This can be a good activity for children between 10 and 18 years old.
See also our articles on Valladolid for more information
Have you been to Vallazoo? What did you think? Let us know in the comments below. We would love to hear from you.