When you travel to a tropical destination, you are definitely looking for great activities to do. The most common are kayaking, surfing, snorkeling, paddleboarding and diving. And what about Snorkeling in Cancun?
Where to snorkel in Cancun
Well, Cancun is in a privileged area that is Quintana Roo, surrounded by the stunning Caribbean Sea. The state is home to incredible coral reefs with unimaginable marine life. One of the most important reefs is in Puerto Morelos, just 20 minutes away Cancun Airport.
So, if you are looking for Snorkeling in Cancun or Riviera Maya you have to go to this small town. Puerto Morelos is home to the Puerto Morelos Reef National Park. It is part of the reef barrier known as the Great Western Atlantic Reef Belt or The Great Maya Reef, and belongs to the Mesoamerican Reef System, the second largest reef barrier in the world.
You can also find a great snorkel in Isla Mujeres; The Farito is one of the most common reefs on the island. On the island, you can visit the MUSA, which is a famous underwater museum. This stunning site has over 500 life-size sculptures used to promote coral life.
Apart from these, you can also try the Chitales and Punta Nizuc reefs for a great snorkeling experience around Cancun.
If you are in Costa Mujeres or Playa Mujeres, you can try El Meco, El Cabezo, Manchones, Sac Bajo and Cerebros Reefs.
Snorkel in Cozumel
A beautiful island located near Playa del Carmen, Cozumel is very popular for its diving experience. This magical place has white sand beaches, turquoise waters and a variety of marine life. Travelers from all over the world used to visit Cozumel for diving, there are several tours that take you to the depths of the ocean. The Cozumel reef is part of the Choose Mesoamerican, the second largest reef system on earth after the Great Barrier Reef, located in the Atlantic Ocean.
Around Cozumel there are different reefs, the most common are the Palancar reef, the Colombia reef, the Paradise, the Chaankanab among others. Some excursions to Cozumel include a visit to one of these wonderful places to snorkel.
Recommendations for snorkeling in Cancun or nearby destinations
- Do some in-depth research before your snorkeling experience.
- Choose the location that best suits your expectations.
- Book your tour. Please note that it is not possible to swim in a reef on your own due to the protection of these areas.
- Take off any sunscreen or makeup. These products can damage corals and marine life.
- Do not catch or touch starfish, coral reefs or disturb fish.
- Make sure you wear life jackets properly.
Snorkeling in Cancun or the Riviera Maya is considered an unforgettable experience. Swimming in these wonderful waters of the Caribbean Sea will be a moment you will remember for a lifetime. Hopefully you will see turtles, an impressive number of fish, rays and many more underwater species during your diving time.
Popular places to snorkel
Depending on where you are staying during your time in the Mexican Caribbean, you may want to explore some of the most popular places for snorkeling.
- If you are staying in Cancun, consider visiting:
- Choose from Chitales
- Punta Nizuc
- If you are staying in Playa Mujeres, consider visiting:
- The Meco Reef
- Choose El Cabezo
- Choose Manchones
- If you are staying in Isla Mujeres, consider visiting:
- The Farito Reef
- North Beach
- Arrowsmith Bank
- If you are staying in Costa Mujeres, consider visiting:
- Sac Bajo Reef
- Choose Brain
- If you are staying in Puerto Morelos, consider visiting:
- Rodman Reef
- Radio Pirate Reef
- Choose from Puerto Morelos
- If you are staying in Playa Paraíso, consider visiting:
- Choose from Mayakoba
- The Picture
- The Fireplace
- La Poceta
- If you are staying in Playa del Carmen, consider visiting:
- Choose Playa del Carmen
- Choose from Maroma
- Francisco I. Madero Reef
- If you are staying in Cozumel, consider visiting:
- The sky
- Choose Palancar
- Choose from Columbia